Senior Technical Writer
Saab Defense and Security
(Temp. 6 months)
What you will be part of
Saab Sensor Systems is a rapidly growing business unit located in Syracuse, NY operating within Saab Defense and Security USA LLC. The Sensor Systems Division is focused on design, development, integration, test, deployment and whole life support of surveillance sensor systems primarily for aerospace and defense industry partners, and US Government agencies. Saab Defense and Security USA LLC provides an excellent working environment, offering advancement and professional growth opportunities, competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package.
Saab Defense and Security USA LLC, Sensor Systems division is seeking an experienced technical writer to work on a temporary, full-time basis (six-month assignment). As a technical writer at Saab, you will generate technical manuals for advanced radar systems and subsystems.
The successful candidate will:
- Plan and execute writing projects independently.
- Collect data from multiple sources: design specifications, schematics, SME interviews, and hands-on use of products.
- Plan and organize content for different types of user documents.
- Develop documents that focus on the needs of end users.
- Apply corporate format and style requirements consistently.
- Develop clear, concise, and structured user documents, and job aids.
- Validate the accuracy and completeness of content before documents are submitted for review.
- Follow corporate processes for document review, quality assurance, and release.
- Acquire solid technical knowledge of assigned technology and products.
Your skills and experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a writing, information design, communications, or education discipline
- 4+ years of experience developing technical user guides and help systems
- Experience in topic-based authoring
- Knowledge of minimalist principles
- Experience using Adobe FrameMaker and Acrobat
- Experience writing DoD or U.S. Government manuals
- Experience working in an engineering/software development setting